German Music Festival to Resume After Terrorist Scarea Featured

German Music Festival to Resume After Terrorist Scarea Festivalgoers at the Rock am Ring music festival on Saturday in Nuerburg, Germany. The country’s biggest rock festival will resume after being disrupted by fears of a possible “terrorist threat,” which have proved to be unfounded, the organizers said Satu

 

BERLIN — One of Germany’s biggest rock festivals was set to resume, the organizers said on Saturday, a day after the police ordered tens of thousands of fans to leave because of an unspecified terrorist threat.

Fans had gathered on Friday night at the fabled Nürburgring racetrack complex in western Germany for a three-day rock festival, Rock am Ring, featuring some of the country’s top rock bands. About 60,000 people were at the site when organizers announced the shutdown, the police said.

“A possible terrorist threat cannot be excluded,” the police in nearby Koblenz said in a statement. “Investigations are ongoing at a top level. But we cannot say anything exact about the background right now.”

But in a Facebook post on Saturday, organizers said they had been given the all-clear to reopen, according to reports.

Continue reading the main story
 
 

The security arrangements at the festival had been overhauled in recent days, “with a view to the recent attack on a concert in Manchester,” the police said, referring to the bombing last month in Britain.

Earlier on Friday, German television showed police officers removing manhole covers and checking the festival premises with great care. The number of officers present was increased to 1,200, the police said.

“We are taking all tips and all suspicious circumstances very seriously,” the police statement said.

back to top

 
 
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time