Items filtered by date: Tuesday, 29 August 2017

10 terror suspects killed in Lake Lanao battles

Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez (File photo by FRANCES MANGOSING /

MARAWI CITY — Government security forces on Monday killed 10 suspected Islamic State-inspired terrorists who were trying to sneak into the battle zone in Marawi City.
Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., commander of the military’s Western Mindanao Command, told reporters that soldiers were able to intercept pump boats carrying members of the Maute and Abu Sayyaf groups as the terrorists attempted to enter the main battle area through Lake Lanao.
He said a firefight erupted and lasted for three hours. Ten terrorists were killed, he said.

“Pursuit operations immediately ensued between forces of the Joint Task Group Lawa and the fleeing terrorists. At 5 a.m., upon searching the area, troops were able to recover five dead bodies of the enemy, one M16 rifle and one motorized pump boat,” he said.
“One of the pump boats was also seen sinking during the pursuit operation. Patrolling soldiers and policemen are still looking for the dead bodies and sunken boat,” Galvez said.

He said the interception came with help from the local governments.
“The plan of the terrorists was earlier reported to us, that is why it was easier for patrolling special forces, riverine units and maritime policemen to detect and neutralize the movement,” he added.
“Let this be a warning to those who have the intention to escape and to enter—our troops are ready for you. We will definitely get you,” Galvez said.
Since May 23, at least 129 government troops had been killed along with 603 Abu Sayyaf and Maute terrorists in the battle for control of Marawi.
Forty-five civilians have been killed, while more than 1,728 others have been rescued from the battle zone.
Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson for the Joint Task Force Marawi and Western Mindanao Command, said troops continued to recover improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnance in the different structures in the war zone.


Espenido’s deployment to Iloilo stumps mayor


Philippine National Police Chief Inspector Jovie Espenido is interviewed by the media following the commemoration of National Heroes Day, a national holiday, at the Heroes Cemetery Monday, Aug. 28, 2017 in suburban Taguig city, east of Manila, Philippines. Espenido, whose assignments in two cities in central Philippines led to the killings of two mayors allegedly named by President Rodrigo Duterte in his drug watch list, announces in a nationwide broadcast, Espenido’s transfer to the central Philippine city of Iloilo, whose town mayor is also included in Duterte’s watchlist.(AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

“Will he live?” President Rodrigo Duterte asked, referring to Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog, whom he had linked to the narcotics trade, after announcing on Monday that he was assigning controversial Chief Insp. Jovie Espenido as police chief of the city.
Espenido had served as police chief of Albuera, Leyte province, and is chief of police of Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental province, where the mayors, whom Mr. Duterte had linked to drugs, were killed by police in alleged shootouts.
Is Mabilog next? The Iloilo mayor said he was puzzled, but he nonetheless welcomed Espenido’s assignment to his city.

‘Will he live?’
Mr. Duterte called Espenido to the front and told him to stay there.
“I will ask you again. You asked for the assignment in Leyte. The mayor there died,” Mr. Duterte said, breaking off midway through a prepared speech during National Heroes’ Day celebration at Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City where Espenido and 129 soldiers killed in the battle for Marawi City were honored.
“You asked for another assignment in Ozamiz. The mayor there also died … the mayor there was (Reynaldo) Parojinog,” he said.

“Now, you want Iloilo because Mabilog has been identified as a protector. Will he live?” Mr. Duterte said.
“I just want to ask because I will again be accused. You shoot and I’m the one published,” he added.
Espenido did not reply, but later he told reporters that his assignment to Iloilo was “God’s will.”
“You know that my superior’s orders, especially the President’s, are God’s will. We will do our best,” he said.
Espenido urged Mabilog to cooperate in the Duterte administration’s campaign against illegal drugs.

Marching orders
Asked about his orders to Espenido, Mr. Duterte said: “Your duty requires you to overcome the resistance of the person you are arresting … [If] he resists, and it is a violent one … I hate to see dead policemen and soldiers performing their duty. Do you hear me? Your next assignment is Iloilo.”
Mr. Duterte said “murder and homicide and unlawful killings” were not allowed and that police had to uphold the rule of law while carrying out their duties.
Mr. Duterte unleashed the war on drugs after taking office in June last year following an election campaign in which he vowed to use deadly force to wipe out crime and drugs.
Thousands of people have been killed and the violence has been criticized by much of the international community.
Mabilog was one of the officials named by Mr. Duterte last year as among public officials involved in the narcotics trade.
No charges, however, had been filed by the police against the mayor.
Mabilog has since been aggressively implementing programs and activities against illegal drugs in his city.
Worried senator
But Espenido’s assignment to Iloilo has given Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon a “cause of concern.”
In a text message, Drilon acknowledged that it was President Duterte’s prerogative to post Espenido in Iloilo.
“And the peace-loving, cultured and law-abiding Ilonggos welcome (Espenido) to Iloilo City,” said Drilon, who hails from Iloilo.

“Having said that, the assignment to Iloilo City of Espenido is a cause of concern,” the senator said, referring to the police official’s controversial track record.
Drilon, however, expressed hope that Espenido would heed Mr. Duterte’s order to “follow the rules of engagement” in confronting the drug problem in Iloilo City.
Sen. Panfilo Lacson said he believed Espenido “knows what to do.”
“While there’s a lot of doublespeak in the President’s marching order, ultimately, it is on Espenido’s account and responsibility to uphold the rule of law and follow the rules of engagement in his new place of assignment,” Lacson said in a text message.
He said he knew Espenido, who worked with him in the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force 17 years ago.
“I know him as a focused, diligent and upright noncommissioned officer,” Lacson said. “I am banking on that and more to say what I just said about the man.” —With reports from Nestor Corrales and the wires


Faeldon dares 2 lawmakers to file charges against him

Outgoing Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon INQUIRER PHOTO / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

Outgoing Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon on Tuesday dared Sen. Panfilo Lacson and Surigao del Norte Rep. Ace Barbers to file charges against him over alleged corruption in the Bureau of Customs (BOC).
“I challenge you (Lacson) to file cases against all those you have named as involved in corruption. If you cannot file a case against us, that is such an idiotic move of yours,” Faeldon said at Tuesday’s flag-raising ceremony attended BOC officials and employees.
“I also challenge Barbers who appears to be wanting to run again for the Senate. File a case immediately,” he said.

In a privilege speech last week, Lacson said Faeldon was among those receiving “bribe” money, including P100 million as a “welcome gift” right after he assumed the top BOC post.
House committee probe
Faeldon, who has denied the allegation, is under fire due to the P6.4 billion worth of “shabu” (crystal meth) smuggled into the country from China via the BOC.

It was Barbers who first called for Faeldon’s resignation.
The House committee on dangerous drugs, which Barbers chairs, has approved a committee report recommending the filing of criminal and administrative charges against Faeldon and other officials allegedly involved in
the “tara” (payola) system in the BOC.
Faeldon hit back at Lacson on Thursday, saying the senator’s son, Panfilo “Pampi” Lacson Jr., had been smuggling billions of pesos worth of cement into the country.
“Senator Lacson, you are wrong when you accused me that I have tolerated corruption in the bureau. You should have come here. The only clear corrupt practices done here, as far as my investigation is concerned, are the activities in which your son is involved,” he said.
Pursuit of justice
Faeldon said he would file a case against Lacson Jr.
“I will prove that your son is involved in smuggling. I will file a case so that your hypocrisy can be uncovered,” he said.

Faeldon vowed to pursue justice for all those named by Lacson as corrupt.
“I will challenge the limitation of your immunity, in court and in public opinion,” he said of the senator, as he appealed to the public to help, instead of maligning the bureau.
“If you really care for this bureau, help it. You can do a lot to help it so that it can be reformed,” Faeldon said.
Silent investigations
According to Faeldon, around 800 cases have been resolved under his leadership.
“Silently, our legal and accounts management office have conducted investigations. That’s why 800 cases have been resolved. There were importers who were suspended and their accreditation canceled,” he said
Faeldon added that some 1,400 cases were still being probed.
“We are not loudmouthed like you, Senator Lacson. We silently conducted those investigations,” he said.


5 cops accused of ‘tokhang-for-ransom’

A Batangas couple has filed a kidnapping complaint against five Santa Rosa City, Laguna, police officers, who allegedly threatened to make it appear they were killed after “resisting arrest” in a drug operation, reminiscent of the fatal “tokhang-for-ransom” case of a South Korean businessman last year.
In a three-page complaint-affidavit filed in the Office of the Ombudsman on Tuesday, Rommel dela Cruz and his wife said the officers held them at gunpoint for several hours on Aug. 4 and tried to extort P1 million from them.
The officers allegedly invoked Oplan Tokhang and threatened to either kill them in a mock police operation or to frame them up on drug charges if they don’t pay up.

In last year’s brutal tokhang-for-ransom case, investigators said South Korean businessman Jee Ick-joo was kidnapped by antinarcotics officers, who strangled him inside his car in Camp Crame even before they received a ransom payment from his wife. Jee’s body was later cremated. Several officers are being tried for kidnapping and murder in that case.
Named respondents in the Laguna case were PO2 John Alicbusan, PO1 Glecerio Cruzen, PO1 Clayson Benabese, PO3 Troyluss Ambrocius Yideso and PO3 Warren Ryan Carpena.
In a phone interview on Tuesday, Supt. Joel Estaris, former Santa Rosa police chief, said the officers had been relieved and sent to the Laguna provincial police holding unit immediately after officials learned about the complaint.

Estaris said the Philippine National Police would most likely file an administrative case against the officers.
The couple, whose family has been placed under police protection, said they were abducted near Robinsons Place Santa Rosa where a white Toyota Avanza blocked their car.
The officers took them to a slaughterhouse in JB Village in Barangay Balibago where Cruzen, who acted as leader of the group, demanded P1 million from them, threatening to kill them and “make it appear we fought back in their operation ‘tokhang,” the husband said.
The officers allegedly took expensive personal belongings from the couple, including a P50,000 bag, two sunglasses, two cell phones worth P37,000 and a P12,000 pair of earrings.
Later the officers placed an aluminum foil and a lighter to look like drug paraphernalia beside the husband and took pictures that would be used as “strong evidence” in a no-bail case against the couple, the complaint said.

Call business partner
The wife, who was forced to call a business partner to ask for a large amount, was able to get someone to place a P215,000 check deposit in her account as advance payment. After Cruzen checked the deposit at an ATM in SM Santa Rosa, he ordered the couple to pay the remainder of the P1 million in their next meeting.
After they agreed, the couple dropped off the three officers close to the fire station near the Santa Rosa police station.
The couple reported the incident to the Laguna provincial police intelligence branch on Aug. 7. They were shown several pictures that allowed them to identify their alleged abductors. —With a report from Maricar Cinco


Marcoses willing to return part of wealth, says Duterte


Believe it or not, the Marcoses, who allegedly amassed up to $10 billion in ill-gotten wealth, are willing to return to the country part of that wealth.
President Rodrigo Duterte disclosed on Tuesday that the family of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos was open to returning part of its wealth, including gold bars, supposedly to help the current administration manage its finances.
As of 2016, the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) had recovered a total of P170 billion in ill-gotten wealth — from Swiss bank deposits, shares of stock and real estate to paintings and jewelry — from the Marcoses and their cronies.
It was then President Corazon Aquino who formed the PCGG shortly after the ouster of Marcos in February 1986.
Mr. Duterte, speaking at the oath-taking ceremony of newly appointed government officials, said he had been in touch with a spokesperson for the Marcos family, whom he did not identify.

“They said they’ll open everything and probably return whatever has been discovered,” Mr. Duterte said.
He said the Marcos family was willing to return the wealth to help the country handle the large budget deficit projected for this year.
But Mr. Duterte said the amount to be returned by the Marcoses would not be big.
The family, he said, was “ready to open and bring back [the wealth] … as well as a few gold bars.”
‘Not a Fort Knox’
“It’s not that big. It’s not a Fort Knox,” he added.
Mr. Duterte did not expressly refer to the wealth as ill-gotten. Neither did he say if there had been an admission from the Marcos family that it had stolen from the country’s coffers.

The President said the family gave the reason that the father was “protecting the economy,” which was why it seemed the wealth had been hidden.
“I will accept the explanation, whether or not it is true,” he said.
“And they are ready to return. How much? They would give me an accounting,” he added.
He said he was looking for somebody, who must not be identified with anybody, to handle the negotiation.
He was considering a former Chief Justice, along with a certified public accountant and a representative accepted by all parties.
There are pending forfeiture cases involving Marcos assets that government prosecutors say rightfully belong to the country.


Visiting Marawi kids want Duterte to end war

VISITING ‘TATAY DIGONG’ President Duterte and 35 children from war-ravaged Marawi City give the peace sign as they pose for pictures during the kids’ visit to Malacañang on Tuesday. —MALACAÑANG PHOTO

New sights and the thrill of traveling to Manila pleased the children from Marawi, but the conflict that had forced them to flee their city was never far from their minds during their visit to the country’s capital on Tuesday.
Thirty-five displaced children joined the Tabak Educational Tour to Manila sponsored by the military.
They flew from Laguindingan Airport in Misamis Oriental province for a five-day tour of Manila that would include a visit to Malacañang and a meeting with President Duterte.

End to war, martial law
Several of the children told reporters that they wanted to ask Mr. Duterte to end the war in Marawi and lift martial law in Mindanao.
The children said they wanted to continue their schooling and for the government to provide jobs for their parents.

Fighting between government forces and Islamic State-inspired terrorists who seized parts of Marawi on May 23 has sent more than 400,000 people fleeing the city and surrounding areas.
Six percent of the displaced are in shelters and the rest are staying with relatives and friends in Iligan City and surrounding communities.
The children met with the President in Malacañang in the afternoon, and he promised them that he would return Marawi to its former splendor and would even improve upon it.
“I would do my best to return Marawi to you, more beautiful and free of conflict,” Mr. Duterte told the children.
He also called on them not to allow extremists to enter the city.
The Armed Forces chief of staff, Gen. Eduardo Año, said on Tuesday that the leaders of the terrorists were trapped in a 500-square-meter pocket of the city and that government forces were preparing for a final assault to end the conflict.

The children, aged 7 to 13, were also scheduled to visit Manila Ocean Park, Mall of Asia, the Mind Museum and the Philippine Army headquarters for a “peace building session” that includes peace games and interaction with other children.
Positive perspective
Lt. Col. Jo-ar Herrera said the children, who were living in evacuation centers, were asked to participate in the educational tour so that they could see a peaceful environment and get a positive perspective while learning about another culture.
The tour is part of peace-building and psychosocial support for the children, Herrera said.
“With this opportunity, they will be given a better perspective in order to be part of a peaceful society,” Herrera told reporters.
“The objective of this activity is to increase understanding and awareness about a peaceful environment,” he added.
In Marawi, Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson for the Joint Task Force Marawi and the military’s Western Mindanao Command, said it was the first time for the children to travel to Manila.
“They were identified as among those vulnerable and susceptible to violent extremism,” she said.
Amina Manonggiring, whose 11-year-old daughter Morliya was among the participants, said she was happy that her daughter was chosen.
Manonggiring said she asked Morliya to relay her wish to Mr. Duterte.
New house, livelihood
“I told her to tell the President to give us a new house and a livelihood because our house in Moncado Colony was burned,” she said.
In Malacañang, one of the children, Hania Macabalang, told reporters before the meeting with the President that she hoped martial law in Mindanao would be lifted.
Macabalang said she also hoped she and her siblings would be able to continue their education.
The daughter of a carpenter and a housewife, Macabalang said the eldest of her six siblings dropped out of school to work and help their parents.
Letter to the President
Another child, Almerah Usman, wrote a letter to the President in which she said she was grateful to the soldiers for fighting the terrorists, but expressed her longing to go home to Marawi and for an end to the war.
In her letter to “Tatay Digong,” Usman said she was thankful that she was brought to Manila, despite the flight leaving her a bit dizzy.
“But we are not happy because we left our home in Marawi,” Usman wrote.
Her family was not rich, and the war has made them poorer, she said.
It was not easy living in evacuation centers, Usman said, but she was still happy because she was with her loved ones.
Angry with terrorists
She also said she was angry with the terrorists for starting the war. She hoped for an end to the conflict after recounting the hardship that she and her family went through as they escaped the fighting.
Like the other children, Usman wanted to be able to continue her studies and hoped she would be made a scholar. She vowed to study well.
Herrera said the children did not bring up martial law during their meeting with the President.
Instead, Usman, chosen as speaker for the group, spoke about her experience in Marawi and her joy in traveling to Manila. She also expressed gratitude to the soldiers for helping them, Herrera said.
She also spoke about her wish to become a scholar to ensure the continuation of her studies.
Mr. Duterte granted her wish and promised scholarships to all the 35 children, Herrera said.


AFP: Terrorist leaders in 500-square-meter pocket in Marawi

Gen. Eduardo Año, AFP chief of staff (Photo by Joseph Vidal)

Brothers Omarkhayam and Abdullah Maute, along with Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, the “emir” of their Islamic State-inspired terrorist group, are trapped in a 500-square-meter pocket of Marawi as government forces prepare for a final assault that will end the three-month siege of the city, Gen. Eduardo Año, chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, said on Tuesday.
“Our main goal is no way out, no way in for them … They said they wanted to go to heaven. So we will give them the chance to go to heaven,” Año told reporters, referring to the terrorists’ claim that their attack on Marawi was part of their commitment to their faith.
Tuesday was the 99th day of fierce fighting between government security forces and the terrorists, who seized parts of Marawi on May 23 to establish an enclave of the Middle East-based Islamic State (IS) jihadist group in Southeast Asia.

Año offered no timetable for the retaking of Marawi, but he cited recent “developments and progress” in the campaign that indicated the end was near for the terrorists holed up in the city.
“Deliberately we are taking their strongholds, especially the Grand Islamic Mosque. We are happy to say that we were able to preserve it and we didn’t bomb it. We didn’t let soldiers go inside. In fact, services are now being conducted there. Our Muslim soldiers and policemen are able to offer prayers at the mosque,” Año said.

He also noted that on Monday, government forces intercepted terrorist reinforcements who tried to sneak into the battle zone through Lake Lanao.
Ten terrorists were killed in the fighting, and their boats sank in the lake.
Año said the military expected the terrorists to make a “last stand” so the troops were preparing for a big, final battle.
“We want to show (them) that anywhere they go, if they will attempt to reinforce or they will escape, we are ready to get them,” he said.
Nearly 800 people have been killed in the fighting that erupted on May 23, including 614 terrorists, 133 soldiers and police, and 45 civilians, according to the latest military count.
On Tuesday, Australia offered to help train the Philippine military to tackle IS-inspired terrorists.

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said she recently spoke to President Duterte, who wanted to bolster resources for his troops.
“We would be ready to support the Philippines in the same way we are supporting Iraq in advising, assisting and training,” Bishop said.
On Tuesday morning, Año led the send-off ceremonies for a 100-strong all-woman joint Armed Forces of the Philippines-Philippine National Police Civil Relations Company (CRC), which was deployed to Marawi to assist in the rehabilitation and recovery efforts for evacuees, particularly the children.
The ceremonies were held at Villamor Air Base, headquarters of the Philippine Air Force, in Pasay City.
In his remarks at the ceremonies, Año said female soldiers and police officers had always been effective in civil relations.
Año said another company might be activated depending on the progress of the reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts in Marawi.
All members of the contingent wore white hijabs as part of the cultural sensitivity of the mission, but the Catholic members of the company were also given rosaries by the military and police leadership.
“As you set foot in Marawi City may your white hijab with your uniform speak of solidarity and love for every Maranao, for every Muslim, for every Mindanaoan in the areas that you will be serving,” Rohaniza Sumndad-Usman, founder of the Teach Peace, Build Peace Movement said in her address to the contingent.
The group trained in the AFP Civil Military Operations School for five days before being deployed to Marawi. —WITH A REPORT FROM AFP


Duterte defends visits of son-in-law to BOC

President Rodrigo Duterte. PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO, FILE

Responding to a senator’s charge that smuggling at the Bureau of Customs (BOC) was a Duterte “family affair,” President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday said it was “perfectly all right” for his son-in-law, Manases “Mans” Carpio, to “see anybody” in the bureau if it was related to his job as a lawyer.
Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV on Tuesday accused Carpio, husband of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, and the President’s son, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, of being behind the “Davao Group” that facilitated smuggling in the BOC.
Vice Mayor Duterte and Carpio have separate rackets in the BOC, according to Trillanes.

The senator also said Carpio was getting a share from the BOC “tara” (payola) system.
In a speech in Malacañang, Mr. Duterte reiterated his promise to resign if any of his children were proven to be involved in corruption but added that he could not “control” other people.

“I will limit that to my children because I do not have control over other people … Like for example my son-in-law who is a lawyer. It is perfectly all right for him to see anybody,” the President said.
In Davao City, Carpio called Trillanes “a desperate rumormonger who happens to be a senator.”
As a lawyer, he represents clients who have transactions at the BOC but this does not mean he is into smuggling, Carpio said.
“It is my job as a lawyer to appear before government agencies for and on behalf of my principals,” he said in a statement.
Paolo remained mum, however. Earlier, the vice mayor said he would not dignify Trillanes by answering the senator’s claims against him.
In February, Paolo called Trillanes “ugok” (fool) for claiming he had millions of pesos in a bank account, which he considered a “wild accusation.”

Paolo pointed out that Trillanes had accused him of everything, including being a drug addict.
In the Senate, Trillanes yesterday said informants had told him that Vice Mayor Duterte visited the BOC twice and Carpio, five times, from late last year to early this year.
“They don’t have the personality to be there. They don’t have any business in the BOC except to fix things, exert influence and endorse people,” he said.
The senator noted that the BOC was a sensitive agency. “If a member of an influential family, in this case they are the first family, you stay away from that area because people would only think that you are there to influence the entry and exit of shipments.”

‘Shabu’ smuggling
Trillanes made the statement to reporters after he attended the fifth hearing of the Senate blue ribbon committee on the P6.4-billion “shabu” (crystal meth) shipment that passed through the BOC in May.
During the hearing, the senator was able to elicit information from a former BOC official who confirmed that Carpio had visited the office of outgoing Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon twice.
Neil Anthony Estrella, resigned head of the BOC Intelligence and Investigation Service, told Trillanes that he saw Carpio once at the bureau.
“I was coming down from my office and chanced upon (Carpio) going out of the office of the commissioner,” Estrella said.
He said, however, that he did not know why Carpio visited Faeldon.
“Anyway, I will be presenting witnesses to attest to the veracity of the information that Paolo Duterte and Mans Carpio went to the BOC,” Trillanes told the committee.
The senator asked Gerardo Gambala, head of the BOC command center, to turn over to the committee closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage since a CCTV system had been installed at the command
Trillanes told reporters that Estrella’s testimony confirmed his information that not only Vice Mayor Duterte but also Carpio were playing a role in the operations at the BOC.
“So this is a family affair of the Duterte family,” he said, adding that in due time he would present witnesses.
Trillanes said the information he got was that “Mans Carpio and Paolo Duterte were influencing the customs operations and they are part of the Davao Group or behind the Davao Group.”
‘No-look fee’
The two men were also engaged in technical smuggling in which shipments were undervalued and misdeclared so these could be easily released from the ports, the senator added.
“They have a special no-look fee, which means that if [brokers] give them [this fee] their shipment would be placed on the express lane and that was why the illegal drugs were able to get past through [customs],” Trillanes said.
Last week, customs “fixer” Mark Taguba testified at a Senate hearing that he paid P5 million to Davao City Councilor Nilo “Small” Abellera Jr., who reportedly represented the vice mayor, to facilitate the release of his shipments.
After paying the “enrollment fee,” Taguba said he paid P10,000 per container to the Davao Group.
Taguba helped smuggle into the country the P6.4 billion worth of shabu from China in May.
In Malacañang, the President said that if Carpio made visits to the BOC in connection with the case of his client, and not because of graft and corruption, it was understandable.
“That was also my work before. We have to protect the interest of our client. That’s our oath of office as lawyers,” Mr. Duterte said.
“In this [issue about] Mans, I do not apologize for him because he’s a lawyer. And every lawyer knows that. That’s our job. The richer the client, the better. So you can die early—die early or retire early,” he added.
Mr. Duterte said government officials should show his children the door if they came to visit to talk about something.
“Do not allow my son or daughter to enter into your office to talk about something. You can always stand up, open the door and say, ‘Ma’am/Sir, Mr. Duterte, Mayor Duterte, the door is open. Kindly go out,’” he said. —With a report from Allan Nawal in Davao City


Pasay condo carnage: ‘Lovelorn man kills 5 in blind rage of passion’

Pasay condominium stabbing spree: Alberto Garan is shot dead by policemen after a five-hour chase.

A lovelorn man who stabbed to death five persons – including a 12-year-old girl, and wounded four other tenants, was shot dead by policemen inside a Pasay condominium on Tuesday night.
The five-hour chase inside the 25-story Central Park 2 Condominium concluded after the knife-wielding Alberto Garan was “neutralized” by heavily-armed members of the National Capital Region Police Office Special Reaction Unit at the 23rd floor of the decrepit building on D. Jorge Street, Barangay 132 at 10:45 p.m.
Scene of the crime operatives recovered the 14-inch kitchen knife Garan used, and at least six fired bullets. Police said they found him at the “only locked door in the 23rd floor.”

Supt. Deanry Francisco, assistant chief of Pasay police, said Garan resisted arrest and even attempted to stab one of the responding policemen.
“We want him to surrender, but he did not want to be caught alive,” he said, adding that there were reports Garan was a user of crystal meth, or shabu.

NCRPO chief Director Oscar Albayalde said the 39-year-old Garan stabbed dead his girlfriend, Emelyn Sagun, 30, after they had an argument in their unit on the 14th floor around 6 p.m.
The suspect then threw off the body of Sagun down to the ground floor of the building.
Garan then went amok and started stabbing persons he met at the hallway and even went room by room — from the 14th up to the 22nd floors, Francisco said.

The .38-cal. revolver and kitchen knife used by Alberto Garan.
Veteran journalist Joel Palacios who was on his way for a night jog was also killed by Garan when he met him on the 16th floor. He was 70.
Palacios worked at major broadsheets including the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Manila Bulletin, Manila Standard and Manila Times, and news agency Reuters.
Joel Palacios Veteran journalist former Social Security System Vice President for Media Affairs
After Palacios, the suspect continued the massacre with the killing of Grade 6 pupil Daisery Castillo, 12, on the 17th floor; Ligaya Dimapilis, 36; and Leticia Ecsiagan who was estimated to be 50-60 years old, all residing on the 20th floor.
Four other tenants of the condo remain at Pasay City General Hospital for treatment: Belcris Elorde, 24, who is also the live-in partner of Palacios; April Joy Sagarino, 20; Arlyn Dian Cordero, 23; and Margie Morales, 26.
‘Case closed; crime of passion’
Police were looking at jealousy as the possible motive of the suspect, said Senior Supt. Dionisio Bartolome, Pasay police chief.
Bartolome said Garan and Sagun, who both have their respective wife and husband, left their hometown in Baggao, Cagayan, on Aug. 24, to elope. Garan was married to Thelma, while Thelma’s brother, Joel Tolosig was married to Sagun.
They arrived on Aug. 25 at the unit of Sagun’s sister, Jessie Belle, at Central Park condo to look for work here in Manila.
Garan, however, found out that Sagun was having an affair with another man, prompting for the argument inside Unit 14004.
The police chief said Garan tried to kill Sagun with a .38-cal. revolver but it misfired and did not fire again. He then used the gun to hit Sagun in the head, grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed her.
Bartolome added that after killing Sagun around 8 p.m., a crying Garan even called up to his wife Thelma saying: “I gave up my family and life. My life is now a mess just because of another woman.”
“This is a crime of passion. Maybe he could not accept what had happened and went into a blind rage against women. As you can see, except for Palacios, all his victims were women,” Francisco said.
Francisco said they considered the case already “closed,” as seven witnesses have confirmed that Garan was the knife-brandishing man in the condo.
Dionisio, however, said they would be investigating if there were lapses on the part of the local police and even the security agency and owners of the condo.
The police chief already relieved Senior Insp. Edgar Dimaunahan, commander of Police Precinct 5 (Central Park), due to complaints of the long-response time of the policemen, with the drama reaching for almost five hours even if it was only 70 meters away from the building.
Police would also be investigating Emilio Ching, the registered owner of Central Park Condominium, and its security provider, Corregidor Veteranos.
Francisco said there were reports that the building — which has 2,975 units and is home to mostly students — was reportedly condemned, after a September 2008 fire gutted some of its units in 2008. He added that the remaining units from 21st up to the 25th floor have no power and remains unoccupied.
Closed-circuit television cameras were also only installed at the side of elevator, and not on the hallways, he added.

Subscribe to this RSS feed


Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time