Philippine News

Philippine News

Free: Seton knee pain seminar

 

DALY CITY – Adults throughout the Bay Area are invited to join Dr. John H. Velyvis for a free seminar to learn about the causes and current treatments for knee pain. The seminar will be held at the Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel located at 625 El Camino Real in Palo Alto on March 30, 2017, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The talk will include a special introduction to robotic-assisted total knee replacement using the NAVIO™ Surgical System — currently only available in the Bay Area at Seton Medical Center. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Velyvis their own questions.
Dr. Velyvis is Seton Medical Center’s Medical Director of Robotic Orthopedic Surgery. One of the most experienced orthopedic surgeons on the West Coast and an expert in robotic- assisted knee surgery,

Dr. Velyvis studied biomedical engineering at Harvard University and received his medical degree from Columbia University in New York.
Seating is limited. Register today by calling 650-257-2997. Free valet parking, as well as snacks and light refreshments, will be available.
For more information, please visit https://setonkneereplacement.org/.
Founded in 1893, Seton Medical Center is a 357-bed hospital serving 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz.

  • Published in Health

Police chief says all criminals are liars

MANILA – The chief of the Northern Police District (NPD) downplayed complaints filed against Caloocan policemen before the Ombudsman, pointing out that it's "normal" for criminals to deny and lie about their crimes.
"The operation happened a long time ago, in September. It's normal for criminals to deny, all of them deny. They're liars," said Chief Superintendent Robert Fajardo in a phone interview with Rappler on Wednesday, March 15.
On Tuesday, March 14, the family of Luis Bonifacio filed murder and administrative complaints against Superintendent Ali Jose Duterte, chief of the NPD's District Special Operations Unit, and several other cops for supposedly murdering Bonifacio and making it seem like it was a buy-bust operation gone wrong.
They face murder and administrative complaints – gross misconduct, grave abuse of authority, gross oppression, and conduct unbecoming of a public officer.
Fajardo, who has supervision over the cities of Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, and Valenzuela, dismissed the complaint against his men, telling Rappler that what happened in September was a legitimate operation.
"We won't ask the Ombudsman to dismiss the case outright. We will answer the case then let the Ombudsman dismiss it," he said.

Mistaken identity?
Fajardo, appointed NPD chief in July, said Bonifacio had been on the police's "watchlist" of suspected drug users and pushers. The list is prepared by barangay officials and validated by police.
Police had supposedly mistaken Luis for Luisito, his brother. Luisito was supposedly number 6 on the Caloocan police's drug list.
"The data is complete. He is part of the watchlist. The allegation about the name being wrong, about a mistaken identify… that was really him. It's normal for the family to deny," said Fajardo.
Bonifacio's family insisted that the police's narrative – as documented in the police report – isn't true.
Eyewitnesses, including his family members, claimed that Bonifacio was already on his knees with hands held in the air when police barged into their home in Bagong Barrio, Caloocan City. Police were searching for illegal drugs.
But he was supposedly shot dead by cops – unarmed and not dangerous – as his family went downstairs on the orders of police. Bonifacio's son, Gabriel Louis, was also killed because he did not leave his father's side. The incident happened at 1:30 am on September 15, 2016.
From July 1, 2016 to January 30, 2017, police tallied 7,080 deaths linked – directly or indirectly – to the bloody war on drugs. Police killed at least 2,555 in anti-drug operations.
Families of victims have accused the police of summarily killing their kin, but most of them have chosen not to file cases. The Bonifacio family's complaint is the first one filed with the Ombudsman in relation to the current war on drugs. – Rappler.com
Police chief says all criminals are liars

Gloria Arroyo ousted as deputy speaker; 11 chairmen lose committees

Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, the deputy speaker for Central Luzon, and the committee chairpersons who voted against the death penalty bill have been removed from their posts.
In a surprise move on the last session day before Congress goes on recess, Majority Leader Rodolfo Fariñas took the floor to move to declare as vacant Arroyo's post as deputy speaker and the chairmanships of the following:
· Dinagat Islands Rep. Kaka Bag-ao (People Participation)
· Gabriela Party-list Rep. Emmi de Jesus (Poverty Alleviation)
· Sorsogon Rep. Evelina Escudero (Basic Education)
· Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos-Recto (Civil Service)
· ACT-Teachers Party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio (Public Information)
· AMIN Party-list Rep. Sitti Djalia Turabin-Hataman (Muslim Affairs)

· Buhay Party-list Rep. Mariano Michael Velarde Jr. (Overseas Workers Affairs)
· Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate (Natural Resources)
· Batanes Rep. Dina Abad (government reorganization)
· Diwa Partylist Emmeline Aglipay-Villar (Women and Gender Equality)
· Quezon City Rep. Jose Christopher Belmonte (special committee on land use)
There were no objections and the motion was carried.
Fariñas then moved to replace Escudero as Basic Education committee chair, with Cebu Rep. Ramon Durano VI. The Sorsogon representative has been demoted to vice chairperson of the said committee.
Afterwards, the majority leader moved to adjourn the session.
These happened even after Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez said that the anti-death penalty House leaders will be replaced when session resumes in May. – GMA News

After days of silence, Dela Rosa debunks Lascañas claim

MANILA – In a House hearing, national police chief Ronald dela Rosa broke his silence over one of the many allegations of self-confessed Davao Death Squad (DDS) hitman Arturo "Arthur" Lascañas, in particular former Davao City mayor President Rodrigo Duterte's supposed orders to have a suspect killed.
"I know him as a policeman from Davao. He was a member of the heinous crime division of the Davao City Police Office," said Dela Rosa during a House of Representatives briefing on the police's Project Double Barrel Reloaded, its campaign against illegal drugs, on Tuesday, March 14.
Dela Rosa had previously chosen to stay mum on Lascañas' claims, saying he would only answer the allegations before the Senate. He was invited to the March 6 hearing on Lascañas, but skipped it because of the relaunch of the PNP's campaign against illegal drugs.
Lascañas, a retired Davao policeman, is the latest whistle-blower to claim the existence of the notorious death squad.
In a turnaround of an earlier claim made under oath before the Senate, Lascañas said Duterte had ordered police who were supposed members of the death squad to kill suspects and even his political and personal enemies.

The former Davao cop had claimed that when Dela Rosa was city director of the Davao City Police Office, the group targeted the "most wanted criminal" of Davao del Sur, a certain Felicisimo Cunanan Jr alias "Sergeant Sisi." Lascañas claimed "Sergeant Sisi" was killed during the operation because he was armed and refused to raise his hands.
The suspect supposedly had two companions, one who surrendered and another who was unarmed.
Lascañas said they brought the two men back to the heinous crime office and claimed Duterte and Dela Rosa visited them close to midnight.
"[Duterte] cursed at the two, he got mad at them," recalled Lascañas during his March 6 appearance before the Senate.
The cop claimed that Duterte ordered them to kill the two, then left. He said when Dela Rosa returned after bringing Duterte to his car, the former Davao City police chief ordered them not to kill the two because "kawawa 'yan (they're pitiful)."
Dela Rosa supposedly told Lascañas to file a case against the armed companion and release the unarmed driver.
Dela Rosa denied the claim about Duterte on Tuesday.

What kill orders?
"'Yung sinabi niya do'n sa may gustong ipapapatay si Presidente doon sa opisina nila, nandoon ako sa opisina… sabi ko file-an 'nyo ng kaso iyan. Hindi ko po nakita si Presidente nandoon at nagbigay ng instructions na patayin. Hindi ko nakita si Presidente," said Dela Rosa, who insisted the meeting was only between himself and Lascañas.
(This claim that President Duterte was in their office, I was there. I told him to file a case. But I did not see the President there, giving instructions to kill. I did not see the President.)
Dela Rosa, however, did not give a blanket denial for all of Lascañas' claims, saying he could not comment on things he does not have personal knowledge of.
Lascañas, who is now under the protection of Duterte nemesis Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, earlier claimed the so-called Davao Death Squad was formed the first year Duterte was elected mayor. He said they initially targeted suspected criminals, until they eventually began targeting Duterte's personal and political enemies.
The Palace and Duterte have dismissed Lascañas' claims as lies. – Rappler.com

Subscribe to this RSS feed

 
 
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time