Eng 728x90
 

Opinion & Community

Tuyo vendor gets standing ovation from Yeng on 'Tawag'

ABS-CBN News


MANILA -- Nestor Mateo received a standing ovation from judge Yeng Constantino for his rendition of the soul classic "When a Man Loves a Woman" on "Tawag ng Tanghalan" on Monday.

The 67-year-old got a total score of 94.8% to nab his second win as he defeated daily winner Elvira Alejandro, who got 90% for her performance of "Never Never Never" by Shirley Bassey.
A former singer, Mateo will return to the "It's Showtime" stage on Tuesday to get his his third win. He needs five wins to automatically qualify for the contest's semifinal round. 

Miss Universe tickets to cost P8,000 to P50,000

By Rosette Adel (philstar.com) | 

In this photo, eleven Miss Universe bets poses with Department of Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo, Miss Universe 2016 Pia Wurtzbach, Paula Shugart of Miss Universe Organization and former Ilocos Sur Governor Chavit Singson. Philstar.com/Efigenio Toledo IV

MANILA, Philippines — Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo said the official selling of tickets for the 65th international pageant will start on December 20. She said the prices of the VIP ticket would be more or less $1,000 each or roughly P50,000 but the cheapest or the general admission section ticket might costs around $160 or P8,000.

The Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Miss Universe Organization also said Monday that the ongoing online sales of tickets costing P12,000 for the 65th Miss Universe pageant are not legitimate.

Teo said the tickets for the VIP section are already limited but there might be sections available in between general admission and the VIP sections.

“So far, ‘yung sa baba halos naubos na ng Miss Universe [organization] so 200 tickets na lang ‘yung available,” Teo told the reporters during a press briefing.

The Tourism chief said the tickets for the pageant would be sold at the official website of Miss Universe and at SM Tickets. She stressed that no reservations would be allowed.

“Book and buy na rin once you ano you have to pay right away hindi puwedeng book and reserve,” she said.

Entertainment ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1


The Tourism department would also announce the details on the tour package with Miss Universe candidates next week. Teo said they are still readying the package which would include tours with the bets in the provinces of Davao, Cebu, Palawan, Legaspi, Vigan and Manila.

Eleven Miss Universe candidates who arrived in the country last Friday, said they enjoyed their visit to Siargao last Sunday. They are now touring Intramuros, Manila and will visit Cebu on Tuesday.

They were Miss Australia Caris Emily Tiivel, Miss China Lee Zhenying (Joyce), Miss Thailand Chalita Suansane, Miss Japan Sari Nakazawa, Miss Malaysia Kiranmeet Kaur Balijeet Singh, Miss New Zealand Tania Pauline Dawson, Miss USA Deshauna Barber, Miss Korea Jenny Kim, Miss Myanmar Htet Htet Tun, Miss Indonesia Kezia Roslin Cikita Warouw, Miss Vietnam Dang Thi Le Hang and Miss Philippines Maxine Medina.

"I'm proud that the girls had a great time. It's just a preview of what will happen next. Girls, enjoy, it's a once in a lifetime experience," reigning Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach said.

Undersecretary for DOT public affairs, communications and special projects Kat De Castro earlier said the agency has been receiving massive inquiries on tickets’ availability and rates for the VIP and general admission. 

Duterte should retract 'threat' vs suspects' lawyers, HRW says

By Kristian Javier (philstar.com) | 

A human rights activist holds a candle for the victims of extrajudicial killings around the country in the wake of the "War on Drugs" campaign by President Rodrigo Duterte Monday, Aug. 15, 2016 in suburban Quezon City, northeast of Manila, Philippines. The "war on drugs" campaign, which saw hundreds of mostly poor victims, has been condemned by human rights groups including the United Nations Chief Ban Ki-moon. AP/Bullit Marquez


MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte should renounce a statement that has been perceived as a threat against lawyers of alleged drug dealers, a human rights group said.

In a statement early Tuesday, Human Rights Watch said that the president should reaffirm the rights of the suspects to due process and to access to legal counsel after President Duterte, in a speech on December 7, said that when he was a prosecutor, suspects were able to post bail because they had "good, high-profile lawyers."

He said that the suspects went back to crime when they were released on bail.

"Even their lawyers, I will include them," Duterte then said.

"Duterte’s threats against lawyers and human rights defenders constitute a dangerous extension of his abusive ‘war on drugs’ that has already resulted in more than 5,000 killings," HRW deputy Asia director Phelim Kine said.

The rights to due process and to legal counsel are in the 1987 Constitution.
Threats against rights advocates

In the past, Duterte has also threatened human rights advocates, saying they are a hindrance to the war on drugs.

"Sabi ng human rights, pinapatay ko raw, sabi ko ‘sige na maghinto tayo, paramihin natin.’ Para pag panahon ng harvest time mas marami na tuloy mamatay, isali ko na kayo kasi kayo ang nagpalaki eh," Duterte said in his statement.

Kine said that the threats made by Duterte show that he will extend his "abusive war on drugs" from targeting criminals to targeting those who object to it.

He added that unless Duterte takes those threats back, "his government will bury the rule of law along with the thousands of suspected criminals killed since he took office on June 30,"

Meanwhile, Presidential Secretary Martin Andanar said that the president's "threats" should not be taken seriously as they are just figures of speech.

READ: Palace: Duterte 'threat' vs rights advocates a figure of speech

"It was just out of frustration. The president did not really mean na gagawin niya talaga yun," Andanar said in an interview with radio dzMM.

He said that that is just how Duterte speaks. 

Read more...

Lawmakers file criminal case vs De Lima

Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News

Ronnie Dayan and Leila de Lima Photo file/composite

MANILA - A day after filing its third complaint before the Senate Ethics Committee against embattled Senator Leila De Lima, the House of Representatives (HOR), through its leaders, filed a similar complaint for violation of the Revised Penal Code against the lawmaker with the Department of Justice (DOJ).
The complaint filed by House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, Majority Leader Rodolfo Fariñas, and Justice Committee chairman Reynaldo Umali is in connection with De Lima's advise to former lover and driver-bodyguard Ronnie Dayan to snub the HOR probe into the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) illegal drug trade, where De Lima supposedly directed high-profile inmates to sell huge volumes of methamphetamine hydrochloride ("shabu") to fund her senatorial campaign.
The four-page complaint charged De Lima with violation of Article 50 of the Revised Penal Code (RPC), which pertains to "disobedience to summons issued by the National Assembly, its committees or subcommittees, by the Constitutional Commissions, its committees, subcommittees or divisions."


The same article also provides that "[t]he same penalty shall be imposed upon any person who shall restrain another from attending as a witness, or who shall induce disobedience to a summon or refusal to be sworn by any such body or official."
"As an incumbent Senator, former Secretary of Justice and a lawyer, advising and inducing Mr. Dayan to hide and not to attend and/or appear in the House Inquiry for which he was duly summoned is tantamount to inducing disobedience to summons issued by Congress, of which she is a sitting member," the complaint read.
The complaint cited the following exchange of text messages between De Lima and Dayan's daughter, Hannah Mae, revealed during the HOR hearing on November 24, 2016, when the Justice Committee reopened its inquiry following Dayan's arrest in Brgy. San Felipe, San Juan, La Union:


"Hannah Mae: Hi Tita. Good pm po. Mi pinapatanong po si pah. Mo baket daw po mi dumating na supwena sa kanya at ano daw po ggawin nia?
Respondent: Pakisabi sa kanya magtago lang muna siya… Kagagawan yan nila Speaker Alvarez at dikta ni Digong. Pagpipyestahan lang siya at kaming dalawa kapag mag-appear siya sa hearing na yan


Hannah Mae: Hindi naman po ba siya huhulihin kapag hindi siya pumunta?
Respondent: Di ba nagtatago naman siya?"

In a news conference following the filing of the complaint, Umali also scored De Lima for calling the House inquiry a sham proceeding and "kangaroo court."


On the part of the DOJ, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre gave the assurance that the complaint will be handled "without fear or favor."
Other complaints are pending with the department against De Lima, Dayan, and several others for violations of Republic Act (RA) No. 9165, also known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act, still in connection with the NBP illegal drug trade.
De Lima accused the partymates and allies of President Duterte of persecuting her for hitting hard on the President's war on drugs.  

Read more...

Imelda Schweighart on being caught criticizing Miss Earth 2016 on video: "I feel violated."

Former Miss Philippines Earth Imelda Schweighart expressed her dismay over the viral video where she was heard calling newly-crowned Miss Earth Katherine Espin a retokada beauty.

Speaking about Katherine, Imelda exclaimed in the said video: “Yung nanalo peke ilong, peke baba, peke boobs! Miss Earth, dapat natural!”
Read: Miss PH Earth 2016 Imelda Schweighart takes a swipe at Miss Ecuador

Asked how she feels about it making rounds online, Imelda replied, “I feel bad for Katherine kasi she will watch it over and over again and people will bother her with that over and over again.

“It's online and you know...”

Imelda was interviewed by CNN Philippines' Pinky Webb this Thursday, November 3.

When the video in question was played in the studio, Imelda gushed, “Oh my gosh! There's the video again.”

Imelda further stated that she felt bad that fellow Filipinos were the ones who circulated it online.

“Yeah, I feel violated.

“Why would my fellow Filipinos put that video online? Like, why would you even do that?”

IMELDA'S RESIGNATION. It can be recalled that Imelda immediately resigned as Miss Philippines Earth after she drew flak from social media because of the said viral video.

Imelda also issued a public apology to Katherine in a separate interview.

Read: Imelda Schweighart resigns as Miss Philippines Earth

“If it's a crime to tell the truth, I'm sorry.

“I didn't mean to offend Miss Ecuador… I don't know her enough but she was my roommate.”

REGRETS. Meanwhile, Imelda claimed that she was surprised that she didn't make it to Miss Earth 2016's Top 16 finalists.

Based on her latest interview, the former Miss Philippines Earth representative said, “I was expecting I would get in kasi I'm on point on everything.

“For example, my walk, I studied it — my custom-made walk for Miss Earth pageant.

“I was sad I cannot perform it. It was so amazing...

“Sayang because a lot of people could learn from that technique.”

Imelda maintained that even Carousel Productions told her that she did well during the Q&A portion.

“Aside from all the controversies that happened to me, I feel like that happened [pageant loss] because people somehow didn't want a three-peat.

“Some people were praying sana walang three peat. Maybe that's were I got anxiety attacks with that energy. Because I'm a very, very sensitive person.

“Yeah, I was getting the vibe.”

Hosting comeback: Kris Aquino to interview Duterte

MANILA, Philippines – The “Queen of All Media” Kris Aquino on Sunday revealed that she will return as a television host starting with an interview with President Rodrigo Duterte.

The actress-host has stopped hosting seven months ago due to health reasons.

“(I spent) seven months of not hosting on TV. I promised myself, babalik ako for a once in a lifetime, one-on-one interview,” Kris said in an Instagram post.

Kris posted the photo of a teaser her anticipated interview comeback titled “Kris at Duterte.” It will be aired over TV5 and state-owned People’s Television-4 networks following her seven months of absence.

Duterte is the successor of Kris’s brother, President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III, and the rival of Mar Roxas, the presidential candidate she campaigned for the May 9 elections.

The Kris-Duterte sit-down was also shared by host organization Go Negosyo on Twitter

Last September, Kris confirmed that she formally left ABS-CBN, her network for 20 years.

She later on announced that she will do a project with APT, a subsidiary Tape Inc. The latter is also the producer of noontime show “Eat Bulaga.” — Rosette Adel

 

Miss Universe 2017 Winner: Duterte Opposes Harvey’s Presence; Filipino To Co-Host Coronation Night; More Details Revealed!

Miss Universe 2017 winner — Everything is set for the upcoming Miss Universe pageant. The Philippines will be the 2017 host for this prestigious event. Read on to know what Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte feels about Steve Harvey as Miss Universe’s host.

STEVE HARVEY REMAINS HOST FOR MISS UNIVERSE PAGEANT
Everyone is excited to find out who among the Miss Universe candidates will take home the crown in 2017. However, the Manila Standard reports that Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte does not approve of Steve Harvey hosting the upcoming pageant. The publication reports that Philippine’s Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Wanda Teo said that Harvey will remain as Miss Universe host. This is because Harvey has a five-year contract with the organizers of the beauty pageant.

Filipino militants ‘abduct German, kill wife on yacht'

A German yachtsman is believed to have been abducted by Filipino Islamist militants, the Philippines' army says.
The naked body of a woman found on an abandoned yacht is thought to be his wife, army spokesman Filemon Tan said.
In an audio message, the leader of the Abu Sayyaf group, which often kidnaps for ransom, said it was behind the raid, the military spokesman added.
The couple, Jurgen Kantner and Sabine Merz, were held captive for more than a month by Somali pirates in 2008.
Their passports were found on board the yacht, Mr Tan said.
The German authorities have yet to confirm the incident.
Abu Sayyaf is one of the smallest and most violent jihadist groups in the southern Philippines, known for its brutality, including beheadings.
In recent months it has been behind a series of attacks at sea between the Philippines and Malaysia, with tug boats and fishing vessels intercepted and their crews kidnapped and held for ransom.

Read more...

Australia denies offering visa-free privilege to Filipinos

MANILA - The Australian Embassy in Manila has denied reports claiming that Filipinos can enter Australia visa-free beginning 2017.
In a statement on their official website, the Embassy emphasized that Filipino visitors still need to apply for an Australian visa before being allowed entry.
"The Embassy is aware of a hoax/scam suggesting that visa-free options for Filipino nationals will be available from January 2017. This is a scam and potential travelers to Australia must have a valid Australian visa," it said.
The article being disproved by the Embassy cited an alleged bilateral visa agreement between the Australian and Philippine governments to simplify travel barriers between the two countries.
Correct instructions for Filipinos intending to travel to Australia are available on the embassy's website.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time