Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net
Blackwater owner Dioceldo Sy couldn’t be more disappointed with Chris Ellis after the Fil-Am forward refused to report to the squad’s practices.
Speaking to the media, the amiable executive shared that he thinks that the 28-year-old Ellis is already on his way out of the league.
“Actually I think he is on the exit already from the PBA. Otherwise, if you’re interested to play, you have no choice but to follow the trade,” he said. “So far, in the past three years I’m in the PBA, this is the first time I found a player who doesn’t report in a trade. So we won’t force the issue.”
Ginebra shipped Ellis together with center Dave Marcelo to the Elite in exchange for the injured Art dela Cruz and Raymond Aguilar last August.
Since being dealt, he has just showed up once in the team’s practice before complaining of a kidney problem which needed hospitalization. That was the last time the team saw of the former Slam Dunk champion.
In a tweet last November 12, Ellis seemed to be bidding his fans goodbye.
“I want to sincerely thank everyone who has shown love n concern for me! Thank you!! Im Excited for what the future holds! Until we meet again!”
Sy admitted that the Blackwater camp still tried to get a hold of Ellis as much as they could, to no avail.
“I’ve been asking around — both MVP and SMC group, I don’t think any of the teams have shown any interest. We offered some trade but there’s no takers, so let us stay as is and let’s see what he’ll do on his own career,” he said.
Ellis’ contract expired last August, and if he decides to play once more in the PBA, the Elite will retain his rights.
The high-flying forward averaged 6.4 points3.4 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in his five-year run with the Gin Kings.