Latest News

Tarlac centenarians get additional P100,000

By Ric Sapnu (The Philippine Star)

Photo:Centenarians in Tarlac have received an additional P100,000 cash each from the provincial government, apart from a similar amount given to them by the national government. File

TARLAC CITY , Philippines – Centenarians in Tarlac have received an additional P100,000 cash each from the provincial government, apart from a similar amount given to them by the national government.

Twenty-five centenarians received P100,000 each during a ceremony held on July 5 at the provincial capitol, according to Gov. Susan Yap.

The cash grant is part of the provincial government’s commitment to help its citizens, aged 100 years old and above.

Last year, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan passed an ordinance granting P100,000 cash gift to centenarians.

The amount is apart from the P100,000 cash grant provided under Republic Act 10868 or the Centenarians Act of 2016, which is given by the national government through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

Yap said Tarlac centenarians are lucky because they would receive a total of P200,000.

She said the provincial government would also give P25,000, a birthday card and a cake annually to every centenarian celebrating his or her birthday.

Irene Crespo, DSWD-Central Luzon assistant director, said the 25 centenarians were the second batch to receive the cash gift from the national government.

Petra Mangrobang, 105, of Camiling town is the oldest among the beneficiaries.

Earlier, 20 elderly aged 100 and above received cash gift from the DSWD.

Read more...

Magnitude 6.5 quake hits Leyte

By Rosette Adel (philstar.com)

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said the magnitude 6.5 tremor occurred at 4:03 p.m.

MANILA, Philippines —A magnitude 6.5 earthquake jolted Jaro, Leyte on Thursday afternoon.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said the tremor occurred at 4:03 p.m.

The quake’s epicenter was traced 8 kilometers south 67° west of Jaro, Leyte. It has depth of focus of 2 kilometers.

The quake was considered strong as it was felt at Intensity V in Tacloban City; Palo, Leyte; and Cebu City. It was also experienced at Intensity IV in Tolosa, Leyte; Sagay City, Negros Occidental; and Burgos, Surigao del Norte.

A "strong quake" can be felt by most people indoors and outdoors as it results in strong shaking and rocking felt throughout building, standing vehicles rock noticeably and shaking of leaves and twigs of tress are noticeable.

On the other hand, Bogo City, Cebu and Calatrava Negros Occidental felt the tremor at Intensity III.

Libjo, San Jose, Cagdianao, and Dinagat Islands recorded Intensity II quake in the area while Roxas City, and La Carlota City, Negros Occidental felt the tremor at Intensity I.

Phivolcs warned the public of aftershocks as well as damage from the strong quake.

Despite this, PHIVOLCS clarified that there is no threat of tsunamis.

Read more...

19 W. Visayas police chiefs sacked

By Cecille Suerte Felipe (The Philippine Star)

Photo:Nineteen police chiefs in Western Visayas have been relieved from their posts for failing to enforce the anti-drug campaign in their jurisdictions. File

MANILA, Philippines - Nineteen police chiefs in Western Visayas have been relieved from their posts for failing to enforce the anti-drug campaign in their jurisdictions.

The relief of the officers was part of an intensified campaign against illegal drugs in the region, according to Chief Superintendent Cesar Hawthorne Binag, Western Visayas police director.

Earlier, Binag approved a recommendation of the regional oversight committee relieving 19 chiefs of police including one from Antique, three from Aklan, six from Capiz and nine from Iloilo.

“The relief will be implemented by the provincial directors in coordination with the local chief executives. The reason is low or non-performance in the campaign of Project SLT/HVT,” Binag said, referring to street level or high value drug targets.

Ordered relieved were the chiefs of police of Bugasong town in Antique; Altavas, Lezo, Numancia, all in Aklan; Zigma, Dumarao, Maayon, Mambusao, Pilar and President Roxas in Capiz, and Alimodian, Anilao, Barotac Viejo, Dingle, Dumangas, Igbaras, Janiuay, Lemery and San Dionisio in Iloilo.

6 axed for extortion

Meanwhile, six members of the Rizal police have been relieved from their posts for allegedly extorting money from a man they arrested for engaging in illegal gambling in Morong.

The officers were identified only in their surnames as Police Officer 3 Catud; PO2s Pili, Manzo and Fabros, and PO1s Maray and San Luis.

Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa ordered the officers transferred to the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Rizal police director Senior Superintendent Albert Ocon said that in March, the officers arrested a man from a cockfighting arena in Morong.

Instead of filing a case against the man, whose name was withheld, the officers reportedly asked P30,000 from him. – With Ed Amoroso

Read more...

Port fees put Customs, PPA on collision course

Philippine Daily Inquirer

The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) has opposed several provisions of a proposed Customs Administrative Order (CAO) that seeks to establish temporary storage facilities for overstaying and abandoned cargoes at the Port of Manila and the Manila International Container Port.

PPA Assistant General Manager Hector Miole, in a recent position paper, said the draft CAO diminished the jurisdiction of the port authority, particularly in relation to the provision that would allow the Bureau of Customs (BOC) to impose rates for storage services in identified Customs Facilities and Warehouses (CFW).

Miole said Section 2.5 of the draft order ‘‘may imply that the BOC will issue guidelines for storage rates as well.”

 

He said the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA) provided that the customs bureau may impose an annual supervision fee to operators of CFWs and Customs bonded warehouses (CBW) but not for warehousing and storage services.

“The guidelines for the applicable storage period, the rates, as well as violations thereof are functions that are still lodged with the concerned port authorities,” he added.

The proposed CAO, which will implement Section 307 of CMTA, has been widely criticized by various stakeholders who warned that the order will only encourage corruption and lead to higher prices of goods in the long run.

Miole said the draft order must be amended to make it clear that it was the PPA and not the BOC that had the corporate duty to provide warehousing and storage services, and fix the rates.

‘‘Allowing the BOC to issue guidelines on storage and the rates would result in having two guidelines on the same subject matter issued by different government agencies,” he said.

Miole, citing the need to ‘‘avoid duplicity of functions,” also rejected the BOC’s plan to declare the customs warehouses as ‘‘part of Customs premises” since these facilities were under the PPA.

‘‘PPA is of the view that the BOC may exercise its authority over CFWs for purposes of enforcement of Customs and tariff laws. The issuance of guidelines as to storage period, rates, and penalties are operational concerns of a port, and the same do not necessarily involve customs enforcement,” he said.

During a recent forum organized by the bureau to discuss the draft order, several stakeholders expressed concerns that the bureau wanted to earn revenues from the temporary storages while passing on the cost to CFWs and depriving the PPA of its lawful revenue share.

 

Read more...

Family of three in DepEd to face ill-gotten wealth forfeiture proceedings


By: Marc Jayson Cayabyab - Reporter / @MJcayabyabINQINQUIRER.net

A family of three working for the Department of Education (DepEd) Region 4 will face forfeiture proceedings before the Sandiganbayan for alleged ill-gotten wealth.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Office of the Ombudsman said it had ordered the filing of a petition to initiate forfeiture proceedings against former DepEd Regional Director Jesus Nieves; his wife, former Supervisor Segunda Nieves; and their stepdaughter, former Data Controller III Gwendolyn Sola.

Their statements of assets and liabilities networth (SALN) showed that their declared income from 2005 to 2007 amounted to P1,953,597.50, but their combined wealth during the period shot up to P10,601,402.50.

 

The Office of Ombudsman also found the following undeclared properties – a commercial lot in Kamuning, Quezon City, registered in the name of Segundina and valued at P7.6 million; a residential lot in Batasan Hills, Quezon City, registered in the name of Gwendolyn and valued at P3.5 million; and a Toyota Fortuner registered in the name of Gwendolyn and valued at P1.54 million.

Ombudsman investigators also found that the P1.54 million Fortuner was bought by Gwendolyn in cash.

In a joint resolution, the Office of the Ombudsman said these properties were “prima facie presumed to have been unlawfully acquired as the amounts thereof are manifestly out of proportion to respondents’ salaries as such public officers.”

The Ombudsman said there was “reasonable ground to believe” the former regional director unlawfully acquired properties in violation of Republic Act 1379, “in conspiracy with his wife and stepdaughter,” especially because he had no registered business interests and other legitimate sources of income.

Besides the forfeiture proceedings, the Jesus Nieves was also indicted for perjury for allegedly failing to declare his Kamuning property in his 2007 SALN. He will to be charged with perjury before the Sandiganbayan.

Meanwhile, Gwendolyn Sola was indicted for three counts of ethical breach in violation of Section 8 of the Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees (Republic Act 6713), for allegedly failing to file her 2007 to 2009 SALN. Due to her lower salary grade, her case would be lodged before a municipal trial court. /atm

 

Read more...

Ex-cop escorts Atong Ang, Gretchen Barreto through Naia — BI

By: Tetch Torres-Tupas - Reporter / @T2TupasINQINQUIRER.net

Photo: Charlie ‘Atong’ Ang. INQUIRER FILE

A former policeman escorted Charlie “Atong” Ang, actress Gretchen Barreto and company through the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) when they arrived from a trip to Bangkok, Thailand, on Sunday, a Bureau of Immigration (BI) memorandum said.

A certain “retired SPO4 Ciriaco Peralta” told BI personnel under the Border Control and Intelligence Unit (BCIU) that he would be escorting Ang, who was with Barreto, according to the memo by Marc Red Mariñas, acting chief of the Port Operations Division (POD).

Peralta “approached the BCIU on duty informing that he will be assisting Mr. Ang,” said the memo submitted to Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente.

 

The BI said Peralta allegedly wore a pass from the airport’s pass control office when he met Ang, Barreto and company and escorted them to the immigration counter of the NAIA 1 terminal.

The report described Peralta as “a media practitioner” and added that he was “reportedly an employee of the Rustan’s retail stores.”

Meanwhile, Ang is a businessman engaged in gaming. He operates an online jai alai numbers game through Meridien Vista Gaming Corp.

The BI ordered an investigation following reports that Ang, Barreto and their companions were given VIP treatment at the airport.

Mariñas stressed that no immigration officer or BI or POD employee was involved in escorting Ang and Barreto.

Morente said that he would ask Manila International Airport Authority General Manager Ed Monreal to investigate the incident and take appropriate action to prevent its recurrence in the future.

Subsequently, the BI on Wednesday reminded its men that they were prohibited from giving VIP treatment to passengers.

Morente said immigration areas in all international airports nationwide were off limits to unauthorized persons.

 

In his memorandum, Mariñas reminded bureau personnel to strictly observe the “no travel facilitation, no loafing and no loitering” policy.

He warned that employees who disobey the directive will be dealt with severely and meted with stiff disciplinary action. CBB

 

Read more...

7 tourists rescued from capsized boat at sea off Northern Samar

By: Robert Dejon - Correspondent / @rdejonINQInquirer Visayas 

Photo: San Bernardino Straight, off Biri town in Northern Samar (Google maps)

PALO, Leyte — Seven tourists have been rescued shortly after the motorized boat they were riding capsized along San Bernardino Strait that connects Samar Sea to the Philippine Sea.

The passengers were hanging on the floating motorboat when a rescue team from the Biri Municipal Police Station and a local rescue group came to pluck them out of the sea at past 5 p.m. on Tuesday (July 4)

They were brought to the Rural Health Center for medical checkup.

In a report to the Police Regional Office in Eastern Visayas (PRO-8), Senior Supt. Ceazar Zafiro L. Tannagan, Northern Samar police director, identified the passengers as Edward Pilapil, Ray Fecismo, Eduardo Espidido, Chresil Mateo, Mark Mateo, Newell Guardiano and Jerry Espidido – all residents of Gubat, Sorsogon.

Initial police investigation showed the tourists were on board a motorboat named Dodot that came from the famous Biri Rock formations.

Cruising alongside Dodot was another motorboat named Repsol boarded by another set of tourists.

The two motorboats were heading back to Sorsogon when “Dodot” capsized due to strong current.

One passenger on board Repsol — Chresil Mateo – called Gerry Delos Reyes, a tour guide, to ask for help.

De los Reyes, the tour guide of the group during their visit in Biri, then reported the accident to the police, which immediately formed a rescue group. SFM

 

Read more...

1 killed, 2 hurt in Benguet collision; driver flees

By: Kimberlie Quitasol - Correspondent / @kquitasolINQInquirer Northern Luzon Buguias and Kabayan towns in Benguet (Wikipedia maps)

BAGUIO CITY — A man died while two others were injured when their motorcycle collided with a Tamaraw FX early Wednesday (July 5) along the Buguias-Kabayan road in Benguet province.

David Cunay was declared dead on arrival at the Lutheran Hospital in Abatan town. His companions Allan Dagines and Franklin Bulosan are being treated at the same hospital.

The FX driver fled following the accident at Sitio (subvillage) Magmagaling, Baculongan Norte village in Buguias town at at 2:45 a.m. The Cordillera police have not yet identified the driver, but have been able to trace the owner of the vehicle. SFM

 

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

 
 
×

Sign up to keep in touch!

Be the first to hear about special offers and exclusive deals from TechNews and our partners.

Check out our Privacy Policy & Terms of use
You can unsubscribe from email list at any time