We did not invite Sulu gunmen, says Anwar
SUBANG JAYA: Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has denied a news report that the followers of the Sulu Sultanate in Lahad Datu had been invited by the Opposition.
“Who is the one who gave it?” he asked reporters after launching the Institut Rakyat yesterday.
When asked to elaborate, he declined to comment further.
In a Reuters report dated Feb 14, an unidentified Philippine military officer was quoted as saying that the men were followers of the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu, who had been invited to Sabah by a Malaysian opposition politician to discuss land issues.
It was reported some 150 armed men led by Raja Azzimudie Kiram, a brother of Sultan Jamallul Kiram III, had occupied the remote village of Kampung Tanduo, some 160km from Lahad Datu town since Feb 9.
The group had demanded to be recognised as the Royal Sultanate of Sulu Army and that the Suluk community in Sabah not be deported to southern Philippines.
Meanwhile, Anwar admitted that there were some leaders in Pakatan Rakyat who lacked humility despite lacking experience running governments.
“I notice, even in Pakatan Rakyat governments ... in the states, leaders at certain levels... They lack humility,” he said.
Meanwhile, PKR launched the Institut Rakyat, a think-tank that is affiliated to PKR.
Among its objectives is to improve public confidence in policy-making abilities of political parties and to engender a shift in Malaysian politics from fear, threat and personality to a focus on policy competition and debates.